Friday, January 30, 2009

THE Dream

Let me preface this by stating that I am NOT a morning person. In fact, you can rarely find me up and at 'em before noon. Yet here I sit, the clock showing 7:03am, unable to sleep. Normally this would indicate that I have not been able to sleep (suffering a debilitating bout of insomnia), but that is not the case.
I had a dream. Nothing new, I often dream. I have great dreams, fascinating dreams, which make perfect sense when I am having them, but later, upon relating them to others (usually the Darling Boyfriend), they seem to be completely illogical. Indeed, my dreams are often so good that if I chance to be awakened mid-dream, I strive to go back to sleep and "finish" the dream. Which is silly, because you never "finish" a dream. There is never a "THE END" sign flashed at the completion of the dream. Typically the dream just continues on and on, morphing from one nonsensical entertainment to another. (Some people claim that your dreams are telling you things. Many books have been written on the issue. Apparently, my dreams are only telling me I am nuts.)
But this morning was different. I had THE dream. THE dream that should be A MOVIE. So, at the early hour of 6-something-ish, I strove to follow a piece of advice I recently gave a dear friend. Get it onto the voice recorder, QUICKLY.
DB was getting ready for work (probably what woke me), but I sleepily asked him to bring me the recorder, which I stated was next to my computer. He looked, said there was no recorder. I murmured, "That's OK," and debated drifting back to sleep, hoping to catch the (mythical) end of the dream. DB went out to start his car and I struggled with wakefulness, REALLY wanting to get this dream recorded. I drug (dragged?) myself out of bed, stumbled to the computer and found the recorder, right where I said it was. Stumbling back to bed, I pushed a button for testing purposes. The battery indicator flashed on "Empty" and promptly died. Crap. DB walked back in and I said,"Honey would you please get me 2 AAA batteries from the bathroom closet?"
The reply came back, "Sure." I heard some movement in the bathroom and then, "I don't see any batteries." To which I asked, "Are you looking in the closet on the left or the right? They are in the closet with the towels". As they are in a container labeled "BATTERIES", he promptly came in bearing the requested batteries. "Thanks, babe". "No problem". He then sat down at the computer (which is in the bedroom) to check his email. "I can't do this if you're listening," I wailed. He chuckled and said, "No problem, I am on my way out". To which I replied, "Maybe I should just tell you my dream and have the recorder on". Being the intelligent man that he is (and having previously been subjected to my "dream ramblings"), he quickly kissed me goodbye.
So I began recording The Dream. Trying to maintain the sleepiness and yet capturing as much detail as possible proved to be a difficult, nay, impossible feat. So here I am, rambling on to you my faithful readers (ok, reader).
So, I am going to attempt to write THE BOOK. I have started books before, but never finished one. Envisioning Paul Walker as the lead in the movie version of THE BOOK will hopefully be incentive to complete THE BOOK so that it can be adapted to THE MOVIE.
The only question is: Do I start now? Or was that a yawn I just stifled...bed...calling...must write...must...sleep.

1 comment:

  1. I'm sorry you lost the dream. Those endings really are elusive.

    ReplyDelete